UK’s Top 10 Fish and Chip Shops Announced
The UK’s top 10 fish and chip shops have been revealed today (Wednesday 13 September) as part of the 30th anniversary National Fish & Chip Awards, organised by Seafish.
Following the latest round of judging, 10 businesses have been shortlisted for the Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award, one of 15 categories in the 2018 National Fish & Chip Awards. The 10 shops, representing the best of the best of British fish and chips, will now compete in a final judging stage with hopes to be crowned the nation’s number one shop.
Hailing from across the UK *, the 10 finalists in what are considered to be the ‘Oscars’ of the fish and chip industry are:
- Cromars Classic Fish & Chips, St Andrews, Fife (Scotland)
- Penaluna’s Famous Fish & Chips, Hirwaun, Rhonda Cynon Taff (Wales)
- The Dolphin Takeaway, Dungannon, County Tyrone (Northern Ireland)
- Millers Fish & Chips, Haxby, York, North Yorkshire (North East England)
- Fylde Fish Bar, Marshside, Southport, Merseyside (North West England)
- The Golden Carp Chippy, Redditch, Worcestershire (Midlands)
- Burton Road Chippy, Lincoln, Lincolnshire (Eastern England)
- Henley’s of Wivenhoe, Wivenhoe, Colchester, Essex (London & South East England)
- Captain’s Fish and Chips, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire (Central & Southern England)
- Harbourside Fish & Chips, Plymouth, Devon (South & West England)
To make this final stage of the competition, the 10 shops have had their frying skills put to the test as well as being assessed against a variety of judging criteria, including menu development and innovation, sustainable sourcing policies, staff training processes and marketing activity. Judges also made unannounced visits to shop premises to undertake full business audits and additional appraisal of the fish and chips and level of customer service that were on offer.
The 10 regional winners will now progress to the final stage of judging to be held in London in January 2018. Facing a specialist judging panel they’ll be quizzed on a range of industry related topics and be required to demonstrate how they successfully run a profitable business and plan for future development.
Marcus Coleman, Chief Executive at Seafish, added: “The Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award is one of the highest honours a fish and chip business can receive, and it is renowned for its competitive nature rewarding only the best of the best in the industry.
If you would like to read more click here.